Friday, January 29, 2010

1602

My Boys are in a comic book book club (which is just cool), they met yesterday for the first time after reading "1602" written by Neil Gaiman and penciled by Andy Kubert. Being an involved parent (and loving comic books myself) I made them lend me the book to read myself. And I really enjoyed it.

"1602" is actually an 8 part comic book series about marvel superheros in the year 1602. One of the heros has gone back in time, or to an alternate time line. The others are born into that time. Alas there is no mention of Storm or Wolverine who have always been my favorite X-men, but there are lots of others including Dr. Strange, Nick Fury, DareDevil, Charles Xavier. It even has the Templars and Thor!
There is strange weather all over England and Europe that many. inclucing Queen Elizabeth, fear signals the end of the world. This being a superhero story, they may be correct.

There are several excellent quotes I'd like to remember, but since I was only borrowing the book and had to read it quickly and return it I only have 2 of them written down, nor do I have the page numbers, but fear not I plan to buy the book and read it again.

First quote
"If a devil is one who dares when others hesitate, then I am happy to play the
devil in this mystery boy."


And the next.
"Sir Richard had you been in the garden of eden, and forbidden to eat the fruit
of knowledge of good and evil, by the time the lord returned I swear you would
be advising him on the finest preserv'd fruit recipes.


Excellent read for any comic book fan. Ingenous use of names and orgins of the heros. 5 *'s.

No comments:

Post a Comment