Monday, February 22, 2010

Dead Watch by John Sandford

The first novels I read by John Sandford were his Prey mysteries featuring Lucas Davenport who I quickly developed a crush on. Next I read a spin off with Lucas making an appearance, but featuring Virgil Flowers. I may have a crush on him, but we'll have to wait for more books in the series to be sure. Now I've just finished reading "Dead Watch" a political thriller featuring Jacob Winter. I possibly could develop a crush o him. Jake is not a cop, unlike Davenport and Flowers, although he was in the military and was injured in Afghanistan causing a permanent limp. Jake is a 'fixer' similar to Davenport in the more recent Prey novels, but he goes about it as a political intellectual or as one of the other characters calls it "Forensic bureaucracy. When something goes wrong, I try to find out what really happened."

I give it 4 *'s and hope Sandford isn't giving up his writing career anytime soon as I want to hear more of all three of these protagonists.

Couple of quick quotes, first page 186.




Patterson smiled again: "The hat...I've never been questioned by a guy
wearing a Hello kitty hat. Kinda scary, in a chain-saw-massacre
way."




And on page 199.



"You're a little cynical," she said.
"I work in Washington."




I give it 4*'s and hope Sandford isn't planning to give up his writing career anytime soon as I want to read more of all three of his protagonists.

No comments:

Post a Comment