Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Summer Knight

"Summer Knight" by Jim Butcher is Book Four of the Dresden Files, quite possibly the best fantasy/mystery series ever written. It starts with a rain of toads and continues on with White Council Wizards, ex-girlfriend wizard, werewolves, Faery Queens (summer and winter) Hellhounds, Faery Godmothers, as well as assassins both mortal and otherwise.
Obviously I give it 5 stars.

On page 26 we get an official introduction to our first Faery Queen.
The woman ran an opalescent fingernail through the blood on my desk. She
lifted it to her lips and idly touched it to her tongue. She smiled,
slower, more sensual, and every bit as alien. "I have many names," she
murmured. "But you may call me Mab. Queen of Air and Darkness.
Monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe."


Incidentally they hate being called Faery Queens so you should probably avoid that.

Page 76.
She'd just been toying with me in my office, and I'd fallen for it. I
wanted to kick myself. Somewhere out there was a village I'd deprived of
its idiot.


Page 81.
I slammed the doors open a little harder than I needed to, stalked out to the Blue Beetle, and drove away with all the raging power the ancient four-cylinder engine could muster. Behold the angry wizard puttputtputting away.

158-159
Billy pursed his lips thoughtfully. "So you're taking us into a maze of lightless, rotting, precarious tunnels full of evil faeries and monsters."
I nodded. "Maybe leftover radiation, too."
"God, you're a fun guy, Harry."

And page 207.
As I pulled into the parking lot, I reflected that odds were that not a lot
of clandestine meetings involving mystical assassination, theft of arcane power,
and the balance of power in the realms of the supernatural had taken place in a
Wal-Mart Super Center. But then again, maybe they had. Hell, for all
I knew, the Mole Men used the changing rooms as a place to discuss plans for
world domination with the Psychic Jellyfish from Planet X and the Disembodied
Brains-in-a-jar from the Klaatuu Nebula. I know I wouldn't have looked for
them there.

If you think about it, evil aliens at Wal-Mart would actually explain a lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment