Wednesday, April 14, 2010

U is for Undertow

After having read "T is for Tresspas" I was worried that Sue Grafton had lost her magic touch, I just didn't like it.
Happily with "U is for Undertow" the magic is back. Although it was slightly confusing to go back and forth between not only different characters perspectives, but also different time periods, I enjoyed the book immensely and give it 41/2 stars.
Kinsey is pulled into investigating a two decades old crime by Michael Sutton, a 27 year old college drop-out with a multitude of issues who believes he has remembered evidence that he witnessed as a child from an abduction in his neighborhood.
Whenever I read a book I end up with little scraps of paper tucked between the pages making either things/words I want to look up or quotes that I want to remember. What is interesting about this first quote is that I read this book about a month ago and liked it, but now that I am finally getting around to typing it up I find it has more significance in my life now than it did when I first marked it.
Page 215
"I can undersand how you feel," I said. "It's not about
vengence. It's about balance, the sense that good and evil are in a state
of equilibrium."


There is more to the paragraph but that is the part that is stricking a chord with me right now.

This next one is long, but I can't see how to shorten it, so here
goes. Page 225
It's our nature to condense and collate, bundling related elements for ease
of storage in the back of our brains. Since we lack the capacity to
capture every detail, we cull what we can, blocking the bits we don't like
and
admitting those that match our notions of what's going on. While
efficient, the practice leaves us vulnerable to blind spots. Under
stress,
memory becomes even less reliable. Over time we sort and
discard what
seems irrelevant to make room for additional incoming
data. In the end,
it's a wonder we remember anything at all.
What we manage to preserve is
subject to misinterpretation. An event
might appear to be generated by the
one before it, when the order is
actually coincidental. Two occurrences
may be linked even when widely
separated by time and place.


Interestingly I went to a RS activity/class/thing where Dr. R spoke and he said something about how we are constantly changing our own past and remembering our personal history differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment