Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Mortal Prey" continued

Alright, finally have a day off after 6 days in a row (full shifts too). So I now have time to get back to the quotes from the incredibly awesome "Mortal Prey" by the incredibly awesome author John Sandford.

First quote page 110.


And she thought about Paulo, dead on the ground in Cancun, his blood all
over her, his blue eyes vacant. Thought about her baby, the way things
were going to be forever. The adrenaline was a familiar thing, but now
something else flowed in, a coldness that she'd felt only once before, about her
stepfather.
Hate. And it was liquid and cold, like mercury flowing through her
veins. Nanny Dichter, two blocks away, still breathing, while Paulo lay
rotting in his grave...

I can understand the concept of hate much more easily than I can the idea of love. I get friendship love and love for you kids. The thing I'm not so sure I believe in is man-woman love. Marriage love, soul-mate love. I just don't think its real. But if it isn't real then how do people know to write about it? Why are there so many songs, movies, books written about it? I read a book by Augusten Burroughs recently and there is such a beautiful, amazing quote about how he feels about his boyfriend and it almost makes me think that love must be real or how could he write that? But if it is real, why do so few people have it in their lives, in their marriages?

Next quote page 129.

"Holy shit, you're rich," Andreno said.
"Comfortable," Lucas said.
"Bullshit, you're rich," Andreno said happily. "Why don't you give me this
car when you leave? I'd look great in it -- clubs in the passenger seat, kind of
casual-like, driving along with my sunglasses and the Rolex."
"Couldn't do
that. You have to have a certain level of sexual magnetism before you're allowed
to drive a Porsche," Lucas said.
"And I'd have to get a Rolex," Andreno
said.

Page 225, men truly are pigs, funny pigs though. At least in fiction they're funny.

"Seven? Eight?"
"Jesus, no. Not that early. I got a date."
"Heavy date?"
"I do have plans involving sex. Then I'll probably have to talk to her for
a while and probably won't be outa there until three o'clock or so."
"You sensitive types are going out of style," Lucas said. "Women are going
back to the more macho, tough-talking guys."
"What I got is what I got,"
Andreno said, and he eased the car away from the curb.


This next one I want to show to my Psychologist to see if he agrees.

Lucas had seen it before: Women recovered faster than men from the death of a
spouse. Lucas believed that both men and women expected the wife to live
longer, so that women were somewhat braced for the departure of a husband, while
a husband, in most police cases, was absolutely unprepared--unless of course,
he'd done the killing himself

Starting in the middle of a paragraph on page 384 and continuing on page 385.

They all three rode to the cemetary together, and Mallard asked Lucas, "Why'd
you come?"

"I kind of liked her," Lucas
said. "All the time "I've been a cop, I've
divided assholes into two
groups: people who were assholes because they
wanted to be- people who made
themselves into assholes- and people who were
make that way by life.
Rinker never had a chance. But she kept trying."

"You sound like National Public Radio," Mallard said. They fell into
the
short line of cars going to the cemetery.

"Fuck a bunch of public radio," Lucas said. "Rinker was twisted
and
tortured by people a hell of a lot worse than she ever was, and nobody
did
anything about it. And she was probably getting out of it when we came
along. I think if she'd never come to Minneapolis, she'd probably be out
of it now."

Andreno shook his head. "Ross never would have let her get out.
If she'd
tried to get out, he'd have had her killed the first chance he
got."

Some people are given chances and breaks and some people aren't. I'm not sayingthat there aren't people who waste their chances or people who don't try orpeople who give up or expect the world to take care of them. All of thosethingsexist. It's just that some people try and try and try and never breakthrough.And don't give me that shit about successful people make their ownbreaks, lifeis not that simple and cliched.

No comments:

Post a Comment