Thursday, May 7, 2009

Turn Coat by Jim Butcher part 2

I'm already about 10 books behind on quotes that I want to save so I'm going to finish up the 'Turn Coat' quotes here really quick.



This first one is a long one, but I think it is all amazing. Pg's 82-83.



She blinked her eyes several times, but not fast enough to stop one
tear.
"You did a bad thing once," I said. "It doesn't make you a
monster."
Two more tears fell. "What if it does, Harry?"
I nodded. "Because if Morgan's right, and I'm just a ticking
timebomb, and I'm trying to rehabilitate you, you haven't got a chance
in hell. I get it."
She pressed her lips together, and it made her words sound stiff.
"Just before Mouse knocked me down, I wanted to...to do things to Morgan.
To his mind. To make him act differently. I was so angry,
and it felt right."
"Feeling something and acting on it are two different things."
She shook her head. "But who would want to do that, Harry? What
kind of monster would feel that?"
I slung the pack over one shoulder so that I could put my hands on either
side of her face and turn her eyes to mine. Her tears made them very
blue.
"The human kind. Molly, you are a good person. Don't let anyone
take that away from you. Not even yourself."


I think my Psychologist would like that one and this next one. Pg. 97



I had been scared. So scared. I was sixteen.
It was the same smell, and
that scent had the power to animate the corpses
of some of my darkest
memories and bring them lurching back into the front of my
thoughts.
Psychological necromancy.
"Brains," I moaned to myself, drawing the word
out.
If you can't stop the bad thoughts from coming to visit, at least you
can
make fun of them while they're hanging around.


Now on a rather different note, a quote from Lara. A seriously awesome badass.

A couple more pieces clicked into place. "Madeline," I said. "She
got to
this Aramis guy and coerced him into betraying
you."
"Yes," Lara hissed.
Barely suppressed, wholly inhuman rage filled her
level, controlled voice.
"When I catch up to her, I'm going to tear out
her entrails with my bare
hands." Which took care of my hormone problem. I shived. I'd seen Lara in
action. I could never decide if it had been one of the
most beautiful
terrifying things I'd ever seen, or it if was one of the most
terrifying
beautiful things I'd ever seen.


Gotta love this woman. Back to 'Turn Coat' and some fabulous insults. Pg. 284


"I am not some mortal scum you can command, mageling," Shagnasty
seethed. "No. You're immortal scum." "You blind, flesh-feeding worm," Shagnasty snarled. "Who are
you to speak to me so?" "The worm who's got what you need," I said. "Dusk. Keep the phone
handy." I hung up on him.


I was just going to save the first part of this, but the second half is just to good to miss, and it really is why I love this series apart from the humor. Pg. 297

The Gatekeeper muttered something to himself in a language I didn't understand
and shook his head. "I cannot decide," he said, "whether you are the most
magnificent liar I have ever encountered in my life-or if you truly are as
ignorant as you
appear."
I looked at him for a minute. Then I hooked my thumb up at my ridiculous head
bandage. "Dude". He burst out into a laugh that was as rich and deep as his
speaking voice, but...more, somehow. I'm not sure how to explain it. The sound
of that laugh was filled with a warmth and a purity that almost made the air
quiver around it, as if it had welled up from some untapped source of
concentrated, unrestrained
joy.
I think maybe it had been a while since Rashid had
laughed. "You," he said, barely able to speak through it. "Up in that tree. Covered with
mud."
I found myself grinning at him. "Yeah. I
remember."
He shook his head and actually wiped tears away from his good eye. It took him
anothr moment or two to compose himself, but when spoke, his living eye
sparkled, an echo of his laughter. "You've endured more than most young people,"
he said. "And tasted more triumph than most, as well. It is a very encouraging
sign that you can still laugh at yourself."

Page 307

I had to work hard to keep from twitching. The only thing worse than scary is smart and scary.

Page 312

"What can I say?" I asked, truning to face Lara. I smiled at her and bowed my
head without taking my eyes off her. It was a more enjoyable paranoia than I'd
observed for the Wardens, if no less wary. "I used to be a trusting, gentle
soul, but the rigors of the cruel world have made me cynical and cautious."

Page 389

The scary part was that I was standing in a relatively small, enclosed space
with nearly six hundred wizards of the White council, men and women with the
primordial powers of the universe at their beck and call-and for the most part,
only the Wardens among them had much experience in controlling violent magic in
combat conditions. It was like standing in an industrial propane plant with five
hundred chain-smoking pyromaniacs double-jonesing for a hit: it would only take
one dummy to kill us all, and we had four hundred and ninety-nine to spare.

Page 418, end of book

See, here's the thing. Morgan was right;you can't win
them all.
But that doesn't mean that you give up. Not ever. Morgan never said that part-he
was to busy living
it.
I closed the door behind me, while life went on.

Now I have to admit the book wasn't perfect. In the beginning there is reference to horrible headaches that that Harry has been having and his friends are concerned about, but this is never explained or resolved. Also I was never completely clear on why exactly the Shapeshifter got involved witht he whole thing, maybe I need to read the book again ;) And I am NOT happy with theway things were left with Thomas! I have a kernal of hope that it is just a deep undercover plan, but I am worried. Still though amazing book, amazing series, and the best part is the series isn't over yet. I have more Harry Dresden to look forward to.









No comments:

Post a Comment